Monday, January 13, 2014

Frozen Part Two {The Elsa Dress}

My little girl is ALL over the newest Disney princess movie, Frozen. I tested the Anna dress pattern back in December. You can read about it here. Last week, I was honored with the chance to test Elsa in the Everyday Princess line. My little girl was ecstatic! {HAPPY DANCE!}


This pattern is sized for 2-8 years. You can make it with MANY fabrics. I chose cotton wovens for the bodice and skirt then added a glittery tulle overlay for that very Elsa look. You can also use chiffon, satin, silk, sheers and even knit to make this dress!


The dress does have a zipper in the back, but don't let that scare you! She's got a great tip for zippers and it's really very simple to sew. I'd rate this dress as an advanced beginner. You use single fold bias tape for the sleeve casings and he neckline but it's a very simple method.


I was afraid of using a sheer for top bodice. I've sewn with chiffon before and that's a fabric that's I've learned to leave alone. Chiffon and my machines do not get along. However, I did branch out of my little comfort zone and use TULLE for the first time. Yep... my first time. Nope, I've never made a tutu! GASP!


The skirt portion is a circle skirt. If you can get your little girl to twirl (mine would not in the cold temps when we took pics on Sunday), this is a fun dress for it! The overlay comes just short of the bottom of the dress, but you could also cut your dress and your overlay longer if you prefer. You could leave off the overlay if you're afraid it would get in the way!


The dress does have quite a few steps to it but the love and excitement in my little girl's face when she saw the dress makes all those little steps worth it! Cut to finish, I'd say this dress took me no more than three hours. It's currently $7 over at Made for Mermaids on Etsy. Be sure to pick up this pattern so your little princess can add the wonderful Elsa dress to her dress-up trunk! And if you haven't already done so, add Anna to your cart! And if you make doll size dresses... add the dolly version for $2! If you prefer to order one custom made, check out my listing.



No comments:

Post a Comment